Evidence of Custody/Guardianship

  1. If the parent lives within Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach or Monroe counties, the parent  must provide documentation  of custody by an appropriate state agency such as the Florida Department of children and Families or the court. To obtain guardianship of a student, the legal parent must submit to the school a power of attorney that has been properly executed by the legal system, the receipt of affidavit from the Family Court, and valid photo identification. Applications for temporary custody or minor children by extended family can be obtained at the Lawson Thomas Courthouse at 175 NW 1st Ave., Suite 2441, Miami, Florida, 33128, (305) 349-7800.
  2. If a parent resides within Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach or Monroe counties and the student lives in a residence licensed by the Florida Department of Children and Families, the student may be registered and enrolled in the school that serves that licensed residence.